Why does refraction of light involve a difference in speed?

• Thread starter Evans of Sprot
  • Start date
In summary, the refraction of light is caused by a difference in the speed of light between two mediums, known as Snell's Law. However, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is a constant, even in a vacuum. This may seem contradictory, but the explanation is that in a medium, the apparent speed of light is lower because it is being absorbed and re-emitted by atoms, causing a delay. But the light still travels at a constant speed in a vacuum.
Evans of Sprot
As I understand it, refraction of light works because of a difference in the speed of light between the two medums involved (Snell's Law?).

However according to the theory of relativity the speed of light is a constant.

These two statements seem incompatible and I would like to know if there is a simple explanation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of light in vacuum is a constant.

In Relativity, it is the speed of light in a vacuum that is constant. Also, in a medium the reason the apparent speed of light is lower is that the light is being absorbed and re-emitted by the atoms of the medium. It is the delay between the absorbtion and emission that seems to "slow" the light down. While the light is traveling from atom to atom it still travels at the constant speed it does in a vacuum.

Many thanks to you both!

Very simple really!

Related to Why does refraction of light involve a difference in speed?

What does "Maybe its an old question" mean?

"Maybe its an old question" is a phrase that is often used when someone is unsure if their question has already been asked before. It suggests that the question may have been asked previously and the person is acknowledging that possibility.

Why is it important to ask "Maybe its an old question" before asking a question?

Asking "Maybe its an old question" before asking a question shows that you have taken the time to research and see if your question has already been answered. It also helps prevent duplicate questions and saves time for both the person asking the question and the person answering it.

Can I still ask a question if it might be an old one?

Yes, you can still ask a question even if it might be an old one. However, it is recommended to first search for the question to see if it has already been answered. If it has, you can refer to the existing answer. If not, then you can go ahead and ask your question.

What should I do if I find out my question is an old one?

If you find out that your question is an old one, you can refer to the existing answer or try to find a more recent answer if the topic has changed. You can also try to rephrase your question and see if it has already been asked in a different way. It is important to avoid duplicate questions as it can clutter the forum or platform where the question is being asked.

Why is it important to acknowledge that a question might be an old one?

Acknowledging that a question might be an old one shows that you are respectful of other people's time and effort in answering questions. It also helps maintain a well-organized and efficient platform for asking and answering questions. Additionally, it can prevent frustration for both the person asking the question and the person answering it if the same question is asked multiple times.