What type of engineer works in the most interesting places?

In summary, the conversation discussed the different environments where mechanical engineers can work, such as offices, workshops, laboratories, manufacturing plants, oil rigs, airplanes, construction sites, underground mines, and chemical plants. It was also mentioned that field engineers and consultants can have the opportunity to work in interesting places, but it requires a lot of experience. The importance of finding your core interest and passion in engineering was also emphasized.
Parsifal1
I'm trying to decide which sort of engineering I want to do. I am leaning towards mechanical, what are examples of environments where mechanical engineers can work?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Office, workshop, laboratory, manufacturing plant, oil rig, aeroplane, construction site, underground mine, chemical plant etc etc they're the same places other engineers work too.
You'll need a more specific question if you want useful answers.

Likes berkeman
Parsifal1 said:
I'm trying to decide which sort of engineering I want to do. I am leaning towards mechanical, what are examples of environments where mechanical engineers can work?

Thanks.
billy_joule said:
Office, workshop, laboratory, manufacturing plant, oil rig, aeroplane, construction site, underground mine, chemical plant etc etc they're the same places other engineers work too.
Agreed. More info would be helpful. What kinds of places do you like to visit?

I'm an EE and have been many places, both for conferences where I was presenting, and for customer visits where I was helping to debug problems. There was the time I was hanging upside-down outside a train in a snowstorm with a portable oscilloscope trying to debug noise issues on the train's intelligent network. Would that be fun for you? o0)

I think the best answer to your thread title question "What type of engineer works in the most interesting places?" is "Consulting Engineer". But you will need a lot of experience as a regular engineer before you can go out on your own as a Consulting Engineer. As a consultant, you can choose what clients you work for (if you are very good at what you do), and you can choose where you work.

work hard! :smile:

Can you be a field engineer with a degree?

Parsifal1 said:
Can you be a field engineer with a degree?
Sure. Without a degree would be hard...

berkeman said:
Sure. Without a degree would be hard...
What about a field service engineer? (I meant to say).

Parsifal1 said:
What about a field service engineer? (I meant to say).
I'm not sure what that is, but with "engineer" in the title, I'd assume that a 4-year engineering degree is required. And for Field Service Technician, a 2-year Engineering Technology degree would probably be required.

I'm more familiar with the term Field Application Engineer -- those are engineers with a 4-year degree and good experience in the products they support. They help customers in the field with developing their (high-volume hopefully) applications based on the company's products. They also help (important) customers with debugging problems in the field. Working as an FAE can be interesting, depending on the product line, but it can also be very stressful at times.

billy_joule said:

You should find out what your core Interest is and follow that , it may be cars , engines , jet engines or simple machines , if your passion has a specific engineering course make sure you take that up , if you take up mechanical engineering you have a wider set of options to look up to as a mechanical engineer, you will learn all the basic principles of mechanical engineering in 4 years and then will have the opportunity to working in any field that required a mechanical engineer. More over your ideas and passion can keep changing with time when you learn you subject that interest you

berkeman said:
I'm not sure what that is, but with "engineer" in the title, I'd assume that a 4-year engineering degree is required. And for Field Service Technician, a 2-year Engineering Technology degree would probably be required.

I'm more familiar with the term Field Application Engineer -- those are engineers with a 4-year degree and good experience in the products they support. They help customers in the field with developing their (high-volume hopefully) applications based on the company's products. They also help (important) customers with debugging problems in the field. Working as an FAE can be interesting, depending on the product line, but it can also be very stressful at times.
Field service engineers do things like maintenance, repair, installation etc., as the name would imply. And a bachelors degree takes 3 years here (England).

Related to What type of engineer works in the most interesting places?

1. What type of engineer works in the most interesting places?

The type of engineer that works in the most interesting places is typically an environmental engineer. They work in a variety of settings such as natural environments, construction sites, and research facilities.

2. What exactly does an environmental engineer do?

An environmental engineer is responsible for using principles of engineering, biology, and chemistry to solve environmental problems. This can include designing systems for water and waste management, pollution control, and environmental protection.

3. What are some examples of interesting places that environmental engineers work?

Environmental engineers can work in a variety of interesting places, such as national parks, remote locations for renewable energy projects, and even space exploration programs. They also work in more traditional settings like consulting firms, government agencies, and non-profit organizations.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualifications required to work as an environmental engineer in interesting places?

To work as an environmental engineer in interesting places, you will typically need a degree in environmental engineering or a related field. Additionally, strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team are important qualities for this profession.

5. How can I pursue a career as an environmental engineer in interesting places?

If you are interested in becoming an environmental engineer and working in interesting places, it is recommended to pursue a degree in environmental engineering or a related field. You can also gain experience through internships or entry-level positions in the environmental engineering field. Networking and seeking out opportunities in industries such as energy, conservation, and sustainability can also help you land a job in an interesting location.