Today's Fusion Music: T Square, Cassiopeia, Rei & Kanade Sato

90's? Sounds contemporary to me.

Likes difalcojr
Science news on Phys.org
Music by Mike Stern from 1985 but sounds contemporary.

Mike also writes beautiful ballads.

When disco and punk collide.

A brand new supergroup. In particular ebass player Wakazaemon is terrific. How can anyone get around the instrument that quickly and smoothly? It seems superhuman.

She is five feet tall.

More amazing ebass playing.

Frank Gambale, 65 years old and still doing it great. The inventor of sweep picking.

Catchy tune.

The original.

I like the South Korean dance version.

Better than ever.

Likes difalcojr
For sure. Their new album is really good, all 10 tracks, Worth the price, thanks. Some slow songs too. This one sounds more pop than jazz, like Kenny G. a bit, maybe, rich, smooth sound like Billy Vaughn's orchestra. Like the drumming in the background. What a great band!

Not really fusion fan. But if this is fusion - not bad

Likes difalcojr
Most complicated beat in the world?

Senri Kawaguchi, Flux Capacitor. (The title comes from Back To The Future.)

Likes difalcojr
The Jazz Avengers do it again.

I'm in Japan but buying tickets online here is so difficult I can't go see them.

Likes difalcojr
Bummer. They are amazing! Have their own sound. Think they are very popular now.
That Dynamogenic video before and band sounded like Steely Dan a little.

Ebassist Juna Serita gets my vote as the funkiest non-black musician on Earth. She improved a lot after she gained weight. Maybe you have to actually be fat to get that fat sound. It works for Dennis Chambers and Skeet Harris.

That's her on the lower left.

Last edited:
My vote too. So, they each wrote a song on the album. Here's hers. Almost put this in the disco music thread, it's got that beat.

OMG, I put the same one on. Sorry, not paying attention at all. Bad day at the PF all around! I'm out.

They have my vote too.

These two groups sound like they are coming from the Jazz Crusaders style: Borderline Jazz/Jazz Fusion.

morrobay said:
These two groups sound like they are coming from the Jazz Crusaders style: Borderline Jazz/Jazz Fusion.

That's mainstream in Japan. The David Sanborn/Brecker Brothers sound is what sells. This has been going on since about 1978 with T Square and Casiopea. Most of T Square's stuff is too smooth for me but you inspired me to give it another chance. This one from 1994 burns like a forest fire.

T Square 1994

Far ahead of the USA but we knew nothing of it. Here's Casiopea from 1979 with the virtuoso rhythm section of Akira Jimbo and Tetsuo Sakurai. By the way, there is a famous anime called Akira that starred a fictional Akira and Tetsuo. I like to think that was intentional.

Casiopea 1979

Both bands remain popular to this day. This thread may be "Today's Fusion" but if this 45 year old stuff came out today it would sound fresh so what the heck. I bet that anime music evolved from this but I wasn't around then and can't say.

Today's young artists have heard this stuff since they were in diapers so it comes naturally to them. They mix freely with the old guard and often perform and record with them. There is a certain amount of tension in that some of the young guns would rather do edgier stuff, but that hurts your income.

Japan is a much fierier nation than the USA, that's how this music can be popular there. The national symbol is an enormous fireball (the Rising Sun). That's what you get when you have a nation that started out as a colony of fishermen, the world's most dangerous occupation. Japan has very little farmland so there aren't many farmers to mellow out the place. It is a very restrained society that smolders under the surface. It's like that other national symbol, Mount Fuji. Mostly it sits there under its snows but every now and then blows its top, spewing lava and ash everywhere. By the way Bali's Mount Agung is shaped almost exactly like Mount Fuji. Same thing. I've never seen it, but on (rare) suitable occasions Bali people run amok.

Anyway thanks for getting me to give this another chance. They've made over a hundred albums between them with no end of changes of personnel so it's easy to miss the good stuff.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes morrobay
Back