Solution of the problem in interlaced form

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, we found the integrating factor $\mu (x,y)=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$, solved the equation in interlaced form, and determined the solution to be $C$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We consider the differnetial equation $$(x-xy(x))+(y(x)+x^2)y'(x)=0$$

I have found the integrating factor $\mu (x,y)=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$.

Using this I have to find the solution of the problem in interlaced form.

Could you give me some hints what I am supposed to do? (Wondering)

I got stuck right now...

Is it maybe as follows? (Wondering) $$y'=F(y,x) \\ \Rightarrow (x-xy(x))+(y(x)+x^2)F(y,x)=0 \\ \Rightarrow y(x)(1-x)+x^2+x+x^2F(y,x)=0 \\ \Rightarrow y(x)=-\frac{x^2F(y,x)-x-x^2}{1-x}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never heard of "interlaced form" and I am not sure where you obtained that integrating factor. If I were going to solve this ODE, I would first write it in the form:

\(\displaystyle (x-xy)\,dx+(x^2+y)\,dy=0\)

We see this is not exact, so we consider:

\(\displaystyle M(x,y)=x-xy\)

\(\displaystyle N(x,y)=x^2+y\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\pd{N}{x}-\pd{M}{y}}{M}=\frac{2x+x}{x(1-y)}=\frac{3}{1-y}\)

Thus, our integrating factor is:

\(\displaystyle \mu(y)=\exp\left(-3\int\frac{dy}{y-1}\right)=\frac{1}{(y-1)^3}\)

And so our ODE becomes:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{x}{(y-1)^2}\,dx+\frac{x^2+y}{(y-1)^3}\,dy=0\)

You should verify that we now have an exact equation...can you proceed?

edit: In using the above integrating factor, we should bear in mind that we lose the trivial solution $y\equiv1$. ;)

In order to proceed with our now exact equation, we observe that the following is true:

\(\displaystyle \pd{F}{x}=-\frac{x}{(y-1)^2}\)

Integrating w.r.t $x$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle F(x,y)=-\frac{x^2}{2(y-1)^2}+g(y)\)

Now, to determine $g(y)$, we take the partial derivative of this w.r.t $y$, and keep in mind that \(\displaystyle \pd{F}{y}=\frac{x^2+y}{(y-1)^3}\). Hence:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^2+y}{(y-1)^3}=\frac{x^2}{(y-1)^3}+g'(y)\)

And so we obtain:

\(\displaystyle g'(y)=\frac{y}{(y-1)^3}\)

Integrating w.r.t $y$ up to a numerical constant, we get:

\(\displaystyle g(y)=\frac{1-2y}{2(y-1)^2}\)

And so the solution to our ODE is given implicitly by:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{x^2}{2(y-1)^2}+\frac{1-2y}{2(y-1)^2}=C\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1-(x^2+2y)}{2(y-1)^2}=C\)

Related to Solution of the problem in interlaced form

1. What is the "interlaced form" in problem solving?

The interlaced form in problem solving refers to a method of breaking down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows for a more systematic approach to finding a solution.

2. How does using the interlaced form help in problem solving?

Using the interlaced form helps in problem solving by providing a clear and organized way to approach a problem, making it easier to identify key components and relationships between them.

3. Can the interlaced form be used in all types of problems?

Yes, the interlaced form can be applied to a wide range of problems, from scientific and mathematical problems to real-life situations and decision-making processes.

4. What are the steps involved in using the interlaced form to solve a problem?

The steps involved in using the interlaced form to solve a problem include identifying the main problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, analyzing each part individually, finding connections and relationships between the parts, and finally, synthesizing all the information to arrive at a solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using the interlaced form in problem solving?

While the interlaced form is a useful tool in problem solving, it may not be suitable for all types of problems. Some problems may require a more creative or intuitive approach, while others may not be easily broken down into smaller parts. It is important to assess the problem at hand and determine if the interlaced form is the most effective method for solving it.