Problem: Determine the maximum value of the average normal stress

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating normal stress using the formula σ=P/A and σ=P/(b*h/cos(θ)). The right answers for σAB and σBC are given as 97.7 MPa and -66.5 MPa, respectively. The speaker also shares their calculation method and is corrected on their use of the cross-sectional area and force calculation. They are advised to use a free body diagram and Newton's laws to solve for the force components and find the member force.
zartiox
Hi guys.

Please look at the uploaded picture.
Normal stress is difined as: σ= P/A. And the Maximum normal stress σ = P/ (b*h/cos(θ)) ??

The right answers should be σAB= 97,7 MPa and σBC = -66,5 MPa. But how do I calculate it?

What I have tried:
Force AB: 40* sin(60deg) = 34,641 kN = 34,641 * 10^3 N

σAB= 34,641 * 10^3 N/((45-20)*12)/sin(60deg)) = 100 MPa

Attachments

• 2012-11-20 17.06.25.jpg
    2012-11-20 17.06.25.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 869
Physics news on Phys.org
zartiox said:
Hi guys.

Please look at the uploaded picture.
Normal stress is difined as: σ= P/A. And the Maximum normal stress σ = P/ (b*h/cos(θ)) ??

The right answers should be σAB= 97,7 MPa and σBC = -66,5 MPa. But how do I calculate it?

What I have tried:
Force AB: 40* sin(60deg) = 34,641 kN = 34,641 * 10^3 N

σAB= 34,641 * 10^3 N/((45-20)*12)/sin(60deg)) = 100 MPa
I think you are misreading the figure regarding the cross sectional area of the link...its just b*h, where b is (45-20) = 25 mm, and h is 12 mm. Thus, A = 300 mm^2.
But beyond that, you are not calculating the force correctly. You might want to draw a free body diagram of the joint at B and use Newton's 1st law in the x direction (sum of forces in x direction = 0) and y directions (sum of forces in y direction = 0), to solve for the force components in each link. Then the member force can be found from the sq rt of the sum of the squares.

Thank you very much, that explanation helped me to could compute it :)

Related to Problem: Determine the maximum value of the average normal stress

1. What is meant by "average normal stress"?

Average normal stress refers to the amount of force applied per unit area perpendicular to the surface of an object. It is a measure of the internal stress within a material due to external forces acting on it.

2. Why is it important to determine the maximum value of the average normal stress?

Knowing the maximum value of the average normal stress is crucial for designing and analyzing structures and materials. It helps engineers and scientists ensure that the material can withstand the expected external forces without failing or deforming.

3. How is the maximum value of the average normal stress calculated?

The maximum value of the average normal stress can be calculated using the formula σ = F/A, where σ is the stress, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the material.

4. What factors can affect the maximum value of the average normal stress?

The maximum value of the average normal stress can be influenced by factors such as the type and properties of the material, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the geometry of the structure.

5. What are some common methods for determining the maximum value of the average normal stress?

There are various methods for determining the maximum value of the average normal stress, including analytical calculations, experimental testing, and numerical simulations using computer software. The method used will depend on the specific application and available resources.